Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Keep it moving


This was a great idea I had at work.
I'm full of ideas.  All the time.  In fact, some days I can't even sleep for thinking of all sorts of exciting possibilities.  I LOVE to start new projects. At any given time, in my head, I could have about 5-10 projects in the works. (Apparently I'm 81% right brained, so there you go!)


I HATE not finishing what I start.  The most upsetting  thing to me is not that I did not finish, but the fact that I got so excited in the first place.

Over the years, I've realized that everything takes time.  A great idea is not a bad idea if does not come to fruition right away.  The lesson is to keep working.

When I had my epiphany last month about re-igniting my acting career, I devised a plan to quit  my job by a set date and get a certain amount of private clients by another date in order to make enough money to have flexibility to pursue my career while still maintaining my lifestyle financially.  In order to achieve those goals, I registered with two different early intervention companies to obtain home based clients,  completed an inhumane amount of paperwork, record gathering( I waited 2.5 hours for medical records, name changing, approval lettering (NYC is ridiculous with paperwork), and looked into some other private companies for work.  What I thought would be a very easy process and my ticket out of full time work turned out to be wrought with obstacles.  Right now it is looking like my "deadlines" are not going to be met.

I was starting to feel discouraged because I feel like the longer I stay at my job,  the longer I'll feel guilt about leaving, and I'll eventually end up staying.  This is a common pattern: I'll make a plan, then feel like I have to "do-it-now" or else it won't happen.  I've recently realized that this not the way to approach change.  I can allow myself to be disappointed, but not to the point where I stop the work.  The idea that "anything is possible" does not mean "everything is easy."  I have to keep working, even if I get annoyed with minor setbacks, and simply revise my plans instead of canceling them.


I figured this out as I typed it, hehe.  Then I got another idea...how about if I got encouraged  by reminding myself what I have done thus far:
1) Hired by two different early intervention companies to pursue part time work.
2) Started taking an on-camera hosting and interviewing class (more about that in another post)
3) Gathered all on-camera clips to prepare a demo reel.
4) Changed my headshot to reflect my married name (look for that story in the next post also)
5) Connected with people in the "industry" for the possibility of future projects.

Not bad for a month, and I've got a whole lot more to do. No need to be down, I simply have to keep it moving.
Rhonda Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment