Tuesday, December 17, 2013

"Things I'm 'Here' For" Part 1



HELLO!  It's the middle of December and I am so excited to end this year on a good note and start the new year on a spectacular one!

 Although this entire year has been transformative, the  last quarter of the year has been truly inspiring and life changing for me.

 In the last three months I...
  • performed in my first play in New York City
  • have begun to  develop a support system that includes lots of amazing folks
  •  started this blog
  • started seeing clients independently as a speech therapist
  • took a hosting  and interviewing class and am preparing to pitch a show idea (stay tuned!)
During this time, I've come across a few very inspiring things that have contributed to my re-awakening.  Since this time of year is often full of giving, I decided to share the things "I'm Here For," meaning things I support, promote, and celebrate.  The list (in no particular order) is as follows:

1) JENIFER LEWIS
Ms. Jenifer Lewis has always been one of my favorite actors.  She has always been consistently stellar in her performances, and is a role model for longevity in the industry.  Her speech at the screening for the movie "Baggage Claim" was widely shared back in September.  When I watched it, she "got me together," and inspired me to get back to my craft.  I have watched this at least 10 times, and it never gets old.  Check out her advice to aspiring actors HERE:
(BTW, did you know she had bipolar disorder? Check out her inspring and intriguing interview with Oprah HERE.)

2) BRENE BROWN
If you don't know about Dr. Brene Brown, you need to look her up right now. She is a qualitative researcher that studies shame, vulnerability, perfectionism, and authenticity in all people, but mainly women.  She breaks down how shame and fear of imperfection can be huge barriers to living authentic and happy lives.  When I first started her book "I thought It was just me, (but it isn't)," I had no idea that so much of what was in her book hit so close to home for me.  According to Brene, everyone experiences shame, and realizing how to cope with it can allow us to have more resilient lives.  Through reading this book I've learned that we have to explore those uncomfortable places in our lives to heal and get to the next stage of our greatness. Check her TED talk out HERE.  Thanks to my friend Joy, I am part of a fabulous book club that is currently reading "I thought it was just me."  Check Joy's blog, "Joy in the City" out HERE.

3) THERAPY
Real talk, I've been  going to therapy on and off since 19.  I am an advocate of mental health and a huge proponent of therapy.  I recently started  going again, and I must say it has been essential and sorting through a lot of the noise in my mind.  If you haven't already, and you feel like you want to talk to someone, go to therapy.  You don't have to have a mental illness, be in a dark place, or have "issues" to go.  If anything, it's great to just share things with someone objective. Most insurance plans cover it, many churches and other houses of worship have it for free or suggested donation, and private therapists often have sliding scales.


4)WORKING OUT
This is not me.
Although I have an inconsistent workout schedule, every time I go, I get some life.  Those endorphins are so wonderful for boosting my mood and relaxing me at the same time. I have to make myself go most days, but when I do, I'm always glad I did.
Get you some.


5) BEYONCE
So, anyone who knows me, knows I'm a huge Beyonce fan.  I'm a STAN. I've been a die hard supporter since I was in high school when "No No No" came out. I am currently conspiring to find a way into this concert at the Barclays on Thursday.  I could not write this post without discussing Bey.  If you don't like Beyonce, I forgive you. Kind of. But you may want to scroll down to the end of the post at this point:)

I have been in a BEY trance since I woke up Friday morning and saw she released her album. I was late for work downloading it.  I have listened to it everyday, for the majority of each day, since then. I'm listening to it now.  I am not at a place to eloquently articulate my adoration for this album. Or my admiration of her choice to release it with no promotion, no announcement, nothing.  Or my awe at her evolution. Or my inspiration to get my body snatched up after seeing her body in all of these videos.

I'm still a bit in shock and glee.  I'll just have to dedicate a whole post to her. In short, this album is definitely getting me through the rest of the year.

5) SUPPORTIVE FAMILY AND FRIENDS
Everyone I've talked to about my journey, including my parents, husband, and friends (including all of you) has been extremely supportive.  It means so much to me to know that I have people on my side as I take some scary steps to the next phase of my life.  I am truly blessed and eternally grateful. Thank you.

I'm "HERE" for so many other things, but since it's close to midnight, I'll wrap up for now.

Goodnight:)
Rhonda Marie

2 comments:

  1. 1) That Jennifer Lewis speech was definitely motivating, not just for actors either. It reminded me and everyone else to "focus". (Very hard to do for me sometimes).

    2) I must start reading more! This book sounds very inspiring.

    3) Glad you posted about therapy. Such a negative connotation goes along with it. I've been wanting to talk to someone for years, never did. I think that's a goal of mine for '14.

    4) Working out! The best time to go is when you don't feel like it, my mood always improves after I work out.

    5) B!!!!!! She did it with this album. I can't listen anything else right now. It's her most personal project yet. I love it!

    Finally, I know that I'm always here for you when you need me along with all your other supporters!

    "We love you like XO!" :)

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Courtney! Love you like XO!!!

    ReplyDelete